Wednesday, November 10, 2010

'Listen to your heart... when he's calling for you'


Today I listened to my heart-I mean really listened to my heart. It was amazing! I just sat there mesmerized in lab listening to my heart. One girl came up to talk to me and gave me a weird look, laughed and then just walked away. I’ve never taken the time to really try to heart everything that I need to hear. There is SO much more to the heart than the lub dub. The more I concentrated the more fascinated I became. I just realized how absolutely amazing it is that all of it (electricital conduction, valves, pumping) is coordinated so perfectly and in most people, the heart works wonderfully for years. The heart beats at least 60 times every minute. I don’t know exactly what that translates to in hours, days or years, but it has to be a ton. How can something work that hard and last so long. It is just such a testimony to me that there is a God and that we weren’t created by accident.

For the rest of the day I kept singing in my head, and aloud, " the heart goes pa-da pa-da and circulates the blood....My body machine is super keen and awesome as it can be. It runs, it walks, it sleeps, it talks and it belongs to ME!" I didn't even care that I sounded like a nutso, I was just so excited about my heart. (after writing that, I just realized how extremely nerdy this all makes me sound- I really am not THAT nerdy. Maybe a little, but mostly the cool nerdy...not the weird/awkward nerdy :))

The last weeks have been pretty busy with school, but there are a few stories that I wanted to share...

I volunteered at the Rescue Mission clinic and this Hispanic guy came in to get some stitches out. He had never been seen before by this clinic so I had to do a more comprehensive note before he could be seen. It took at least 15 minutes to get through all the questions- partially because he kept talking and also because he didn’t speak English very well. Once I had finished and put him in a room a nurse that was working with me said, ‘betsy, you knew he was completely drunk right?’ Now I know there are many positive things that come from not being around alcohol, but this would not be one of those times. I had NO IDEA that he was drunk. I just spent 15 minutes talking to this guy, and I was pretty close to him, so I could smell his breath and I had no clue that he was drunk. NONE! I just thought he was really happy. That’s kind of a big deal, mostly because you can have crazy drug interactions when people are drunk, ugh! My favorite part about the whole situation was when I talked to dad he said, ‘Betsy you just need to hang out at bars more.’ Seriously?…how many Dads say that to their daughters? Haha. Oh I love my dad- and I love that he can say that to me knowing #1-I probably wouldn’t ever go to a bar even if he told me to and #2-if I did, he knows I wouldn't ever drink. Moral of the story is that my new goal for the week is: I’m going to figure out what drunk people look, smell and act like.

Another fun experience was during lecture one day I really had to go to the bathroom. It was right after lunch and I just couldn’t hold it in anymore. It happened to be a guest lecturer so I felt really bad about walking out, but I figured that I wouldn’t be able to concentrate if I didn't go and since my seat is right next to a door he probably wouldn't even notice. So I finally decided to go, I get up and I’m at the door when the lecturer says really loud, ‘ Wait, don’t go yet. I promise it will get better.’ Initially I couldn’t tell if he was joking and then when I put it together, I didn’t know what to say, so I just blushed, smiled and shrugged and walked out. I was super embarrassed! What was I supposed to do, announce to the whole class that I really had to go to the bathroom? When I walked back in-he again interrupted the lecture to say/chuckle, ‘I’m sorry if I embarrassed you.’ Meanwhile the whole class is chuckling and again my face turns bright red, which makes everyone laugh even harder. It’s all good though, because my class knows that I’m kind of a goof ball already, so whateves.

2 comments:

  1. Great stories! I love to hear about how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy!! I didn't know you had a blog, that's awesome, I saw that you were following mine but I had to go on Jamie's page to find out you had a blog. My hubby just did a class on the heart and was telling me about the lub dub stuff, I think it would be neat to listen to my own heart but I've never tried it. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete