Friday, October 7, 2011

La la la Life goes on...


-School:Probably the biggest news is that I found out what my first few rotations are. So November is OB in Johnson City, Tennessee. It’s only a few hours away, but still a new state! Yikes. The program rents an apartment for all the PA students doing rotations there, and it just so happens that there is a guy doing a rotation there with me, so we’ll be sharing the apartment. Awkward. The good news is that he is married and he is actually a really good guy, so I don’t think it will be too bad. And I doubt I’ll really be at the apartment very much- it’s my OB rotation- I’m pretty sure I’ll be gone all of the time. As for the rest of my rotations, they are all in Roanoke- so that’s kind of nice. My next 2 rotations are with primary care practices. I just can’t believe it is all happening so soon.
 I just officially started Boot Camp! AHHH. Basically we are reviewing all our skills that we have learned this past year the next few weeks. And at the end of the month we have a cumulative final over EVERYTHING. In addition to that, we are taking the Packrat, which is basically a practice boards exam (Pance). Surprisingly I’m not feeling very overwhelmed, which is a huge blessing. I’m feeling excited and motivated about rotations.
                This past weekend my friend Stephanie and I were practicing some of check sheets (we have a final check sheet practical test this next week) and it was nice to find that I do remember quite a bit and of the stuff that I didn’t remember, I’m relearning it much faster. They said that would happen, but it’s nice to know that I’m not immune to that perk.
                One of my classes this semester is Medical Ethics. At the beginning of the class, one of my teachers stood up and said, to sum up the class- there is not right or wrong in medicine. I thought that sounded funny, but now that I’m getting into case studies I can see how that is the case. I also discovered after a lengthy class discussion- I don’t think that the purpose of medicine is to save people’s lives. I think the purpose is to take away pain. We can save lives, but I really think that we do too much of that. Let people die! Seriously- you can’t avoid it forever, and if they have already gone, why bring them back? I think it is a waste of resources and frankly it is selfish. I the first part of that statement with my class and my teacher acted like I was crazy (he kept saying, really? Oh okay. Or that’s interesting.) After class this guy (he happened to be cute) came up and said, thanks so much for sharing your opinion. I totally agreed with you and I’m glad you said something. It was nice to know that I’m not the only one thinking those things- and it was nice that he was cute.
                - Church: Seeing as this past weekend has been General Conference it was so so SO nice.  I was so productive- I spent the morning reviewing check sheets and then I went over to the Dierckin’s house to watch the first session. The second session I watched at my apartment. I love that the church has made it so easy to watch conference- streaming it was so easy! Then this morning I went over to Hanh’s house and she made Grace, Amanda, Brandon, Jordan and myself a brunch and then we watched the morning session. Then I came home and watched the second session. It was just wonderful.    
               -Social: Basically my social outlet has been with BYU football. The past few weeks I’ve gone over to the Creamer’s house and watched the game on their big screen. I know I’ve said this before- but I love football and the Creamers.
                Jamin is a new girl in the ward who is going to cosmetology school here in town. Anyway she needed someone to practice cutting hair on and she asked if I would help her out. Even though hair is super important to me- I took one for the team and let her practice one me. I went in thinking it would only take 20 minutes…yeah 3 hrs later I walked out. Not only is it a straight hair cut- it is a super straight hair cut. She was concentrating so hard on making sure my hair was straight, she wasn’t even trying to talk to me. So pretty much I just sat there for 3 hours, but I guess that’s the price you pay when you want an extremely straight cut. It reminded me of all the times Kaitlyn or Allie would cut my hair- yeah they definitely didn’t spend that kind of time and I’m SO glad.
                Lastly I just want to say that I’m listening to Christmas music and I just feel like everything is right in the world. Oh how I love Kenny G and Jon Schmidt! 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for rotations! I would have to disagree with the just letting people die. I think that it is great that you can save people's lives. I think that if we watched someone see a loved one slipping away from them we would probably sympathize and feel the same way. Just my opinion though. That is sweet that ob is first. I want to hear all your stories. You are going to do so great!

    ReplyDelete