Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January and renewed desire to floss





          January rolled around and I got to start a new rotation-my second primary care at Roanoke Family Carillion Clinic. It was this nice large office that was mostly run by residents. There were 40 doctors/residents on staff…which is kind of a lot. My schedule had me with a new person every 4 hours. It wasn’t until the end of the 2nd week that I had repeats. So basically, every day was a first day. AWEFUL!  I hadn’t realized how important personal relationships are until this rotation when I had none. I was literally having to introduce myself constantly and I just felt like I had no connections. But then by the 3rd week I started to get to know some of the attending and they would say hi and I can’t even tell you why, but after that I just felt so much better about the whole thing. 
 I also got to go to the Virginia Tech vs. BYU basketball game. Now, I'm not really into basketball, mostly cause I never really watched a game...but it was pretty exciting. I particularly enjoyed the fact that we were completely surrounded by Tech fans and so when we would cheer, it would pretty much be just us cheering, but who doesn't love standing out/being the center of attention- honestly :). To top it all off..we won!!! Go Cougars!


 




(Me, Hanh, Amanda, Grace)
 
Lastly, I used to like dentists...until yesterday. I had no complaints and I just went in for a cleaning and then they start telling me all the things that are wrong with my teeth.  I went in and they did a complete mouth xray thing (which took forever). I’m used to the 4 xrays, but no…18 xrays later- Ugh…anyway, after the hygienist looked at it she started asking about my front bottom tooth. She eventually just came out with it and said, well it looks like you have an abscessed tooth and that you’re going to need a root canal. Say WHAT??? I’m 23 years old, why would I need a root canal? So a year ago I had a couple days of super bad tooth pain. It hurt SOOO bad, but then it went away and I thought, I must have irritated the nerve and whatever. But apparently that was my nerve dying.
At the office I was acting all fine, but as soon as I walked out I called mom and I just started crying. It sounds ridiculous, but I was really upset that I had 'bad/dead teeth'. I know they are just teeth- but to have one that died…that just sounds so sad doesn't it? It was one of those moments where I would cry and then be fine and then I would start crying again, but meanwhile I’m thinking- this is ridiculous, I know I shouldn’t be crying.
From this I learned a couple of things...first- I don't like dentists. And second- I have a renewed desire to floss my teeth daily. I'm pretty good about brushing my teeth, but they effectively scared me into flossing more often. Job well done dentist- but I hope you know that doesn't mean we're friends!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Lizzy, it's so nice to know what's going on with you. I can totally understand how you feel about both of the situations you described. I think it would be so hard to work with a new person everyday and feel like you weren't progressing in your relationships. To tell you the truth, I've stopped going to certain medical practices (ob/gyn) in particular because I was getting a new doctor EVERY time. It was frustrating and I hated it. I'm so sorry that you felt so isolated, but I'm glad it's slowly getting better.

    And as for crying over a tooth... After I found out that I'd have to wear orthotics for the rest of my life, and I had to get rid of all my open toe/open back shoes. I cried and cried! There's something about feeling like "I'm broken and it can't be fixed!" that just makes me want to cry. I hope all goes well with the dentist.

    I LOVE YOU!!!! You're wonderful! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat sucks. Sorry about the root canal. People get those all the time, though, so don't worry. Even young people get them. I'm glad people started saying hi to you! You are almost Dr. Wright!!!

    ReplyDelete