Sunday, July 1, 2012

I'm a survivor!!!


       I Survived SURGERY!!!!! It turned out to be not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. I worked mostly 12s, but I only had to do on call 3 times and I got post call off. The hardest part about the month was the hours. I had to be there by 5am, which meant that I had to wake up at 4. UGH! That also meant that I had to go to bed by 8, which is super hard.  I think I learned a few things while on my rotation as well J.

First and foremost- I learned I do NOT want to do surgery as a career. It’s just not for me. The people aren’t the nicest nor are they the cleanest people in language or morally. AND I just really like having relationships with the patients I work with-which you don’t get in the OR.

                Some fun things I got to see…laproscopic and open appendectomies, tons of cholecystectomies, cataract surgery, thyroidectomy, several exploratory laperotomies, splenectomy, colonoscopies, Upper endoscopy, gastrectomy, gastric bypass. During my on-call nights I saw some stabbings and motorcycle accidents.

Probably the most interesting case was a teenage boy who came in after he dove into a creek that was too shallow. He ended up hitting his head and demolishing his C5 vertebrea. He presented with complete paralysis and it took me a few minutes to realize that it wasn’t just going to be a temporary thing for him. He would forever be paralyzed all because he got drunk (and probably was doing some other good stuff) and made a stupid decision. How quickly life can change! It’s a little crazy and scary to realize that life is so fragile.

Fun stuff-well I didn’t do much this month because I was working 6/7 days and I had to wake up super early, but I did go swimming and on a few walks with dustin and Jessilyn.

I’ve been so blessed. So a while ago my car was leaking oil- and it hasn’t since then. And my computer wasn’t working- the screen would constantly flicker- and now it doesn’t. It’s stuff like that, that I completely forget to be greatful for, but I’m so glad that they aren’t broken.  The Lord is so good to me!  I’m grateful for his presence in my life. I honestly would be so discouraged and lost without him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you survived surgery. That is so sad about the boy and the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a rotation! Life really is SO precious and seeing the little blessings makes a big difference. Love you!

    ReplyDelete