Sunday, July 1, 2012

My June Favs

So I think I'm going to start something new....I'm going to put up some of my favorite quotes or thoughts from the past week/month. Ready...set...go!

So this past month I challenged myself (and my RS) to not listen to any music other than church music. It turned out to not be as hard as I thought. At the end of the month- I can't say that something miraculous happened but I did notice that I no longer have a huge desire to listen to the radio. I remember growing up Dad would always call the radio/pop music 'noise' and I find that I actually agree with that assessment. Now I just need to do that with TV, facebook, books...:) Simple-yet profound....

"If you expect glory, intelligence, and endless lives, let the world go.
Joseph F. Smith

 

I love quotes about who I really am and who I've always been. (Can you tell I just have been reading Sheri Dew's books)


 “Many years ago I heard the story of the son of King Louis XVI of France. King Louis had been taken from his throne and imprisoned. His young son, the prince, was taken by those who dethroned the king. They thought that inasmuch as the king’s son was heir to the throne, if they could destroy him morally, he would never realize the great and grand destiny that life had bestowed upon him.
“They took him to a community far away, and there they exposed the lad to every filthy and vile thing that life could offer. … For over six months he had this treatment—but not once did the young lad buckle under pressure. Finally, after intensive temptation, they questioned him. Why had he not submitted himself to these things—why had he not partaken? These things would provide pleasure, satisfy his lusts, and were desirable; they were all his. The boy said, ‘I cannot do what you ask for I was born to be a king’” (“The King’s Son,” New Era, Nov. 1975, 35).
Bishop Featherstone commented:
“Our Father is a king, and just as the king’s son was exposed to every vile and perverted thing in this life, so you will be exposed to much of the filth and degradation of our generation. But you … are also born to be kings and queens, priests and priestesses” (New Era, Nov. 1975, 35).


One of my roommates in College introduced me to this quote. I like to think of it as my motto in life...


"I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap living and dwarfed goals...I don't have to be right, first recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am lifted by prayer and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot by bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up or let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear."
- quoted by Henry B. Eyring ( I don't know the actual author)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment